Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Karl Swartz <kls@ohare.chicago.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: HP OmniBook and pccardd

> > I had a card in each slot.  I also tried moving them around.  After a
> > few reboots, FreeBSD saw the cards, but hadn't a clue what to do with
> > a 3Com 3C389D.  I tried the PAO mods, which have been working reasonably
> > nicely.
> >
> > However, after a while, it stopped recognizing the existence of the
> > PCMCIA cards again.  Rebooting into Lose/95 (alas, I have a need to
> > dual-boot my poor laptop) brought the cards to life on one occasion,
> > but on other occasions FreeBSD still cannot see the cards even after
> > the Micro$loth loader (I can't bear to call it an OS) has recognized
> > them successfully.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
>
> HP has this bad habit of designing totally twisted PCCARD controllers.  I
> think you're going to have to live with it.

I find that argument a bit difficult to swallow, given that Lose/95
seems to have zero problems seeing the PCMCIA slots, while FreeBSD,
even with PAO, can see them perhaps 10% of the time.  If it's broken
hardware, how come the crap garbageware from Redmond can handle it?

I'd love to help debug this problem, but I have no idea where to even
start on it.

 -- Karl