Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:15:56 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web-style database

[ -chat pruned ]

On Tue, 08 Dec 1998 at 19:09 SAST, Oleg Ogurok wrote:

> Has somebody tried to make web-style database? Is there any tools in
> Freebsd for that? Maybe some Perl/SQL stuff? I have some experience in
> FoxPro/DOS. Could somebody recomend me something to create database and
> then allow web users query it? Thank you.

This is fast becoming a FAQ.  :-)

There are a number of RDBMS's which will run under FreeBSD, some commercial
and some less so.  The "free three" are:

MiniSQL		- http://www.hughes.com.au/
MySQL		- http://www.tcx.se/
Postgres	- http://www.postgresql.org/

Note that the licensing conditions vary between these three, with Postgres
being the only completely free one of the lot.  MySQL and MiniSQL get very
expensive when used for commercial purposes.

Each one has its own ways of interfacing with the Web - read their respective
documentation.  Each also comes with its own C API, should you want to write
CGI binaries in C.

Additionally, there are many database-neutral ways of constructing such Web
front-ends.  One would be to write CGI scriptgs in Perl and use the DBI
interface.  Another (and a particularly easy way to get going) is the PHP
scripting language:  http://www.php.net/

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559