Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:52:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP-UX NFS client

synopsis: freebsd NFS server, HP-UX NFS client. Client succeeds if it uses
automount to mount the volumes but fails if a manual mount is used despite
options.

question: anyone have experience in a similar enviroment that can point me
toward a solution?

We use HP's Data Protector as an enterprise backup solution (formerly
known as omniback). It only supports NFS backups of FreeBSD systems.

I'm having an issue manually mounting volumes from a FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE
(using source from 12/7) system on an HP-UX 11i (11.11) system.

If I automount the volumes everything works fine and the HP system is able
to hook up as expected and it can access the desired files. However, if I
try to manually mount the volumes I get:

nfs mount: getaddr_nfs: monhegan: NFS service not responding(retry delay=5s)
nfs mount: retry: retrying(1) for: /monhegan after 5 seconds
nfs mount: retry: giving up on: /monhegan

I've tried forcing the version to 2 (as well as 1) - still returns the
same thing, no apparent change in behavior. I've made sure the HP box's
nsswitch.conf is pointing to files for everything - still returns the same
thing. Numerous other combinations of options have been tried with no luck
- I can not duplicate automounts success.

So... automount (not autofs) on the HP box works differently then a manual
mount in some undefined way or at least uses a set of options for the
mount that I've not attempted.

"nfsstat -m" on an HP-UX system, with a manually mounted NFS filesystem
will display the options and flags used to do the mount. It displays
nothing for automounted filesystems. I'm not aware of anything on the
FreeBSD system that would tell me what options an NFS client used to
connect.

Watching with tcpdump on the freebsd system I see that both the manual and
automount attempts make connections to the box, but they do look
different:

manual mount:

PORTMAP V2 GETPORT in
PORTMAP V2 GETPORT Reply out
MOUNT   V3 NULL Call in
MOUNT   V3 NULL Reply out
MOUNT   V3 MNT Call in
MOUNT   V3 MNT Reply
:
:

auto mount:

NFS     V2 NULL Call in
NFS     V2 NULL Reply out
PORTMAP V2 GETPORT Call in
PORTMAP V2 GETPORT Reply out
TCP     port 712 in
TCP     port 712 out
MOUNT   V1 EXPORT Call in
MOUNT   V1 EXPORT Reply out
:
:

Unfortunately, we've had little luck using automounted volumes with Data
Protector so we wish to manually mount the volumes in the pre-backup
script an then umount them in the post-backup script.

Has anyone manually mounted a FreeBSD volume from an HP-UX client? Were
there any special requirements?

-Darren

Darren Henderson                                  darren@nighttide.net

                    Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/