Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 16:54:24 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

> A T1 line is capable of 192kbytes/sec, so 192 collaborators would be able
> to saturate a T1 line with essentially zero cost to themselves.  Because
> of the spoofed src addresses, the cost of receiving the RST packets is
> spread throughout the entire Internet.

Try making the src IP 127.0.0.1 .. I don't know how many people firewall
packets at their routers with a source IP of that (which reminds me, I
have to *grin*)

> Now, who's going to write this program?

I will.

Oh wait a tick, I already have written it .. *ducks*

Problem is Linux DOES have some interesting (development) anti-DoS code
(someone have a look at the 2.0.30 kernel, or the ISS patches to 2.0.29).

I haven't tested it personally but some people say it works reasonably
well for something under development (in a 2.0 kernel series? *stable*
kernels? *giggle*)

Adrian.