Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 2014 03:44:26 +0200
From:      Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
To:        Chuck Burns <break19@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] pkg(8) is now the only package management tool

Chuck Burns wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 02, 2014 2:19:19 AM Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The ports tree has been modified to only support pkg(8) as package
>>> management system for all supported version of FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> if you were still using pkg_install (pkg_* tools) you will have to upgrade
>>> your system.
>>>
>>> The simplest way is
>>> cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
>>> make install
>>> then run
>>> pkg2ng
>>>
>>> You will have lots of warning, don't be scared, they are expected, pkg_*
>>> databases used to get easily mangled. pkg2ng is most of the time able to
>>> deal with it.
>>>
>>> If however you encounter a problem then please report to pkg@FreeBSD.org
>>>
>>> A tag has been applied to the ports tree if you need to get the latest
>>> ports tree before the EOL of pkg_install:
>>> https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/tags/PKG_INSTALL_EOL
>>>
>>> A branch has been created if some committers want to provides updates on
>>> the for pkg_install users:
>>> https://svn.FreeBSD.org/ports/branches/pkg_install
>>>
>>> Please note that this branch is not officially maintained and that we
>>> strongly recommend that you do migrate to pkg(8)
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bapt on behalf of portmgr
>>>
>> And for the portsnap users?
>>

> Uhh.. continue using portsnap?  Why would that matter??

Because those who have not changed to pkg because of the continual
changes and issues (and that I have 50+ servers to migrate - and was
told that bapt was going to *knowingly* break the ports tree for anyone
not upgraded on Sept 1 - just 1 day after the EOL - with just 20 odd
days notice) the first time they portsnap they're fucked.... most
probably won';t have subversion installed, most probably won't have
svnlite in the OS... so there is no upgrade path for production
servers... basically they're screwed.... Re-install time for most of them.

I still have servers on 6.1 that I have been trying to upgrade, and yes
they're screwed as well - not because of this, but previous similar
ports tree changes that broke everything not on 7.x ... I moved from
Linux because of this type of thing each bloody distro having it's own
packaging tools, each just changing stuff with no care or consideration
to the people actually using stuff...  First major security issue and
everything I have will be forced (by the bosses) to rebuild on
DeadRat... and I have lost any chance of persuading the big bosses to
adopt FreeBSD now.. which if had happened FreeBSD would have been in 25%
of the fortune 500 companies (we provide appliances) and have received
donations... off the table completely now (even if things got rolled
back, it is still too late - all I can hope is a security issue doesn't
happen or I will lose control of my little section and I'll be force to
learn the DeadRat way of doing things again.)

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/