Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:56:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      joseph@randomnetworks.com
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to do this?

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

# joseph@randomnetworks.com wrote:
#
# >         If you are looking for votes to do this count me for one.  At a
# > minimum the layout for all of the Apache ports should be identical.  4.2
# > should not go out the door with out this.
#
# 	I have to say I agree. The current state of things is just whacked, and
# it's dragged out too long. Knu has a nifty little routine in the cvsweb
# port that I cribbed for something I'm working on. I was actually
# considering submitting a patch to bsd.port.mk to this effect since I
# think it would help people in both camps. The gist of my suggestion is
# below. I think we want to keep the compatability for
# $prefix/share/apache in case someone has already installed a bunch of
# stuff there, although I wouldn't be heartbroken if it went away.
#
# .if !exists(${PREFIX}/www) && exists(${PREFIX}/share/apache)
# WWW_DIR?=	share/apache
# WWW_CGIDIR?=	share/apache/cgi-bin
# WWW_DATADIR?=	share/apache/data
# WWW_ICONSDIR?=	share/apache/icons
# .else
# WWW_DIR?=	www
# WWW_CGIDIR?=	www/cgi-bin
# WWW_DATADIR?=	www/data
# WWW_ICONSDIR?=	www/icons
# .endif
#
# Then you use it (for example) like this:
#
# RUN_DEPENDS=    ${PREFIX}/${WWW_CGIDIR}:${PORTSDIR}/www/apache13
#
# 	Putting the files in /usr/local (ok, $PREFIX) /www/[foo] is more
# generic, (i.e., not apache-centric), more backwards compatible, and
# helps avoid what I feel is unneeded pollution of $PREFIX/share/. This
# would make life easier for all of the www porters.

	Feel free to shot this down if you'd like, but one thing I had
always wondered about was creating ports for items web software.  Take for
example phpmyadmin, a web based admin tool for MySQL written in
PHP.  Right now there's no real way to do a port like this because we
never know where the web directory is, along with several other
factors.

	From the look of it, what you describe above helps this situation.

	Another thought, these could be extended to /etc/make.conf, which
would give the whole system a method for keeping track of these
things.  If you are taking votes, I like $PREFIX/www better than
$PREFIX/share/apache, but that's just me :-)