Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 2014 18:50:01 +1100
From:      nano <nanotek@bsdbox.co>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libiconv on 10.0-RELEASE

On 1/02/2014 6:45 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:

>>> I may create a jail to somewhat emulate my live environment and conduct
>>> a test run to see if any problems arise.
>>
>> As a personal suggestion, if you have the expertise to do that, you
>> should investigate using poudriere to build your own binary packages
>> repository and upgrade your live, production systems from there.

I do intend to setup my own repository with Poudriere but have been
delaying for some unknown reason (read: laziness). In fact, I think I
will do this in the next few days. It will make things much more efficient.

> Forgot to mention, if you're not using any non standard option in your
> systems and using only RELEASES, then you could directly use the
> packages from the official repositories.

I try to use packages where I can, but often programs require
non-default build options so I have to build from ports. I'm often
warned to not mix ports with packages; what is your take on this?

--
bsdbox.co