Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 23:53:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version of makeinfo in -current

  > > This seems to be a recurring thing for me to mail the lists, I'm
  > > using FreeBSD as a development machine, and every piece of GNU software
  > > I use I have to install from the current release, its kind of annoying.
  >
  > Lots of us use FreeBSD as development systems.

  Not many are using c++, from what I can tell.

It's not a big deal to build gcc 2.7.2.

OTOH, it is a petty annoyance suffered by virtually every FBSD user --
certainly every single C++ user.

I compiled the world using 2.7.2 -- it was trivial.
gcc already builds with bmake.  It is not a big deal to
integrate it into the tree, therefore, unless one *makes*
it a big deal by adding questionable constraints.

  > If all we did was follow the often senseless faddism that seems to
  > permeate the GNU world, all our time would be spent fiddling with tools,
  > and no real work would ever be done.

This is just silly rhetoric.  C++ is very different nowadays.
Making a credible C++ compiler available *is* real work.

2.6.3 is significantly inferior.  2.8 will have bugs.  If past history
is any guide, gcc releases generally stabilize around x.x.2 or x.x.3.
2.8 is not an argument against 2.7.2, therefore.