Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:09:41 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        George Mitchell <george@m5p.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI + FIC VA-503+ = non-working fdc

On Monday 28 November 2005 12:33 pm, George Mitchell wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 November 2005 02:18 pm, george+freebsd@m5p.com wrote:
> > > On a FIC VA-503+ motherboard, ACPI does not play nice with the floppy
> > > disk controller.  In all versions of 5.x, and now 6.0, it cannot talk
> > > to the fdc when ACPI is enabled.  In 6.0-RELEASE, the message I get
> > > if "No FDOUT register!".  It works fine with ACPI disabled, and perhaps
> > > I should just stick with that ...
> >
> > Can you post the fdc0 lines from both dmesg's to see what the resources
> > look like?  Sounds like a bug in your BIOS.
>
> http://www.m5p.com/~george/dmesg-6.0-no-acpi-verbose.txt
> http://www.m5p.com/~george/dmesg-6.0-acpi-verbose.txt

Note these messages:

    ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.FDC0._CRS]
(Node 0xc1e89540), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
    ACPI-0239: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.FDC0._CRS]
(Node 0xc1e89540), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
can't fetch resources for \\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.FDC0 - AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT

FDC0 is your floppy drive controller, and your BIOS is busted and doesn't
return valid information in the ACPI tables to tell us which I/O ports, etc.
to use, so that's why your floppy drive doesn't work with ACPI.  You might be
able to fix it by patching your ASL.

> > > Also, in 6.0-RELEASE, enabling ACPI seems to cause the re driver to
> > > get watchdog timeouts ...
> >
> > Are any of the IRQs different with ACPI enabled vs ACPI disabled?  Also,
> > do you get these times with ACPI enabled on 5.x?
>
> See above for 6.0.  ACPI had enough other problems on 5.0 that I never
> ran with it enabled, except a couple of times when I saw that the floppy
> controller wasn't working.  Thanks for your attention.        -- George
>
> P.S. I got these dumps with 6.0-RC1, but the messages are the same with
> 6.0-RELEASE.

Well, the IRQs are the same for both.  However, it is quite weird.  With ACPI,
we see from your BIOS that your ppc0 device is using IRQ 5, and several PCI
devices are using IRQ 7 (include re0).  Without ACPI, both the printer and
the PCI devices end up using IRQ 7 (this should _not_ happen).  Try removing
the hints for ppc0 so it is probed by the PNP BIOS rather than via hints and
see if the IRQ moves from 7 to 5 for your non-ACPI case.  Then, check to see
if you get the same timeout issues.  You can also try going into your BIOS
and changing the LPT settings to use IRQ 7 rather than IRQ 5 as IRQ 7 is more
"standard".