Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:51:12 -0700
From:      "Terry R. Friedrichsen" <terry@venus.sunquest.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   re:  FreeBSD/alpha wm problems

> Can you be a little more specific on what
> problems you are having so that we may be able to determine if
> we can help you.Including error messages would help.

OK.  I wasn't really expecting X help from this list, which is why I hadn't
detailed the problems earlier ...

There are LOTS of problems, other than drawing glitches where a slice of
the display maybe 5 pixels high or so gets drawn in the wrong place on
the screen ... I'll just mention a few.

1)  if you iconify an xterm that overlies another xterm, when you deiconify
	it, the part of its background that overlaid the other xterm is
	permanently switched to the overlaid xterm's color

2)  if you bring up a root menu (by clicking on the background), only a
	transparent rectangle gets drawn (with the background showing
	through); dragging the mouse pointer through the menu rectangle
	paints the menu as the pointer hits each menu row

3)  if said root menu overlaps an xterm, the overlapping chunk of root
	becomes the background of that piece of the xterm window

There are others ...

I saw the exact same problems reported in the freebsd-alpha mailing list
archives about a year ago.  I get the stripe of titlebar color in twm
that is mentioned below, too - but that goes away if you "sleep 2" before
firing up twm ...

--dxRQSzdsN/lOP445