Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:16:24 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami), chuckr@mat.net, nate@mt.sri.com, mike@smith.net.au, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

> of crud installed into /usr/mdec, which I object to installing on /.  Since
> it looks like what is actually proposed is that the stuff that presently
> goes into /usr/mdec is going away and the present /boot/boot{0,1,2} that
> is already in /boot will stay - I can live with that.

Given Mike's recent (and much needed) reduction of the contents of
/usr/mdec stuff into a pile which is 95% obsolete or otherwise
insufficiently general to merit installation into /usr/<sometopleveldir>
and 5% which has already moved, I think we might just have the basis
for an agreement here. :-)

- Jordan
> different devices.  Are we talking about changing this so that
> #ifdef i386
>   defboot1 = "/boot/boot1";
>   defboot2 = "/boot/boot2";
> #endif
> #ifdef alpha
>   defboot1 = "/boot/boot1";
>   defboot2 = NULL;	/* alpha has only one boot block set */
> #endif
> ?  Of course this would be overrideable by disktab and the command line,
> but I want to make sure we're not talking about a symlink tree in /boot..

Works for me.  Other bits of code, like sysinstall, also have their
own dependencies on this.

- Jordan