Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 00:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Anil John <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu
Subject:   Re: Popclient--FreeBSD--FWTK

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Anil John wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I currently have a Win95 machine connected by ethernet to a FreeBSD
> machine which is connected to the Internet by dial-up PPP.
>
> I am using the FWTK for NAT on this setup.  It enables me to run a
> WWW Browser on my Win95 machine and go out onto the Net.
>
> My problem is that I currently have multiple POP accounts and FWTK
> will allow you to connect to only one....

Huh?  I don't quite understand.  The mail would be fetched from three
separate sessions, right?

> A solution that I am thinking will get me around this is if a run
> some sort of a mail package on my FreeBSD machine to get the mail
> from my various mailboxes and store them on the FreeBSD machines.  I
> would then use a Win95 mail client (Pegasus) to connect to my FreeBSD
> machine and read the mail.
>
> My question is, Is this feasable?  Does the Popclient package allow
> you to do this (i.e connect to multiple POP mailboxes) and retrieve
> the mail and store it in a format that can be read by a Win95 POP
> mail client?

Sure.  You could either use 'popclient' from ports or setup .forward files
on your other mailboxes to point to your FreeBSD machine.  I have many
mail accounts on many Unix boxes, so I dropped .forward's in them all to
forward them all to this account.  Now I check my mail once instead of
four times :-)

> If it does, how do I set up my Win95 mail program (mailbox, passwd
> etc) to connect to my FreeBSD machine?

You'd have to check Pegasus's docs on that one.  It assumes you're running
a pop server on your FreeBSD box though I'd bet.