Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 00:39:31 -0700
From:      leonard@pacbell.net (Leonard Chung)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP usage?

Hi, I was wondering if anybody can help me with getting the user PPP
program working.  I set up all of the options, verified that I can talk to
my modem (via the term command), and have had it successfully dial out to
the ISP.  However, once the connection is made (from term mode), PPP just
displays a "<" on a line by itself.  It won't respond to any commands other
than the "~." and "~P" commands.  I can't seem to use any of the TCP/IP
programs either such as ping or ftp as they report that they have a DNS
lookup failure.  Anybody have any ideas on what I can configure or where I
can look for more info?

Thanks,

Leonard

P.S.  Does anybody know why they call a TCP/IP stack a stack?  Why isn't it
called a queue as, correct me if I'm wrong, data sent to the stack is send
out FIFO.