Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:41:22 -0600
From:      Mcclain Looney <mcclain@looneys.net>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of Java/FreeBSD

it's a fairly well established fact that java on freeBSD is sub-par, and has
been since the beginning.

http://www.volano.com/report/index.html

for reasons that escape me, freebsd seems to be rather apathetic about the
advancement of java on its platform, which is unfortunate.  my theory is that
 java's closed nature isn't appealing  to potential cleanroom vm developers.

hopefully some day that will change, but as far as I can tell, there are no
java champions high up the ladder of freebsd power (so to speak).  please
correct me if i'm wrong.

speaking of which, can anyone speak to the current state of the sun licensing
deal that was struck last year? I haven't heard anything about it after the
initial hooplah.

-mcclain