Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 17:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tenebrae <tenebrae@niceboots.com>
To:        "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ethernet Card Recommendation...

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Paul A. Howes wrote:

> One of the replies to my inquiry said that the Netgear network adapters do
> not work well with certain AMD-based motherboards.  Considering that one of
> my future upgrades will be to build a multi-processor Athlon system, this
> caused me a bit of concern.
>
> Can anyone elaborate on this?  Is it just a certain manufacturer or a
> particular brand of chipset?  Or is this one of those PCI versioning issues
> that could be taken care of by tweaking the BIOS?

Not sure about that...
I am using a Netgear FA310TX network card on my freeBSD 4.3-STABLE server
with an ASUS P5A Super Socket 7 motherboard (ALi chipset) and an AMD
K6-2/350 processor.  I've been pretty happy with it.  Only problems I've
had with it have been CPU frying (fan died), bad RAM (the ghetto RAM I
mentioned in another post), and a mysterious spontaneous reboot when my
DSL line was down for 8 hours and then came back up (general Covad
outage affecting the Central Office my ISP was out of).  I'm still not
sure that reboot was entirely normal, but it's running now, so I can't
complain too much.
								-Tenebrae.