Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:55:15 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initial performance testing w/ postmark & softupdates...

At 07:24 AM 2/21/00 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>A paper by Gregory R. Granger and Yale N. Patt of the Departement of
>EECS, University of Michigan entitled Soft Update:  A Solution to the
>Metadata Update Problem in File Systems discusses softupdate
>performance v.s. asynchronous write performance.  The difference wasn't
>much, somewhere around 2-3%.

Only recently enabled softupdates.  Used an asynch /usr/obj (striped vinum
volume) for building and noatime on several mounts.  Vividly recall the
problems way back when with softupdates and never got around to testing it.
 It has been mature for a while, so the change was overdue.

My /usr/obj are^H^H^Hwere a couple old 540 Quantum IDE drives.  Very noisy
when thrashed by buildworld/installworld.  Had to retire one that was
developing bad sectors a few weeks back.  Now with the single running
softupdates it is no longer thrashed quite as hard.  Loss of the striped
volume hasn't changed by going from noatime+asynch to noatime
w/softupdates.  Gained a couple minutes (few %) for buildworlds, but I'll
find another pair of newer old drives and swap them in.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve