Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 13:10:20 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brant Katkansky <bmk@dtr.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Security options for NFS?

<<On Tue, 2 May 1995 03:46:49 -0700 (PDT), Brant Katkansky <bmk@dtr.com> said:

> I'm looking to secure NFS and other services not covered by tcpd -
> what's the conventional wisdom for FreeBSD 2.0?

NFS has fairly strong access-control checks provided by the kernel
code.  However, these only operate on a per-mount-point basis.  If you
specify a host list in /etc/exports, then the NFS server will d oits
best to ensure that only the hosts listed are able to access the data,
even given a valid file handle.

The portmapper is fairly harmless, provided you don't start any
services that in themselves are security problems.  The FreeBSD
versions of `mountd' and YP are reasonable; some of the other RPC
services you may want to restrict or just plain not run depending on
your security policy (e.g., rusers, rstat).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.