Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securelevel and ipfw zero

:I just thought of a bad thing.  If you allowed the counters to be zero'd
:(or advanced) at securelevel == 3, then a 'malicious user' could write a
:cronjob to continually reset them and cause a DoS attack on the system
:(or in the case of advance, reset them to ridiculously high values),
:thus filling up the disk.
:
:However, one could argue that *IF* they have root, they could just as
:easily fill the disk with garbage and cause the same attack, ie;
:
:# dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/log/misc

    The hacker w/ root would have to be a complete bozo to write a cron job
    or loop to clear the ipfw counters rather then do something else that
    really blows the machine away!  It isn't a scenario that fills me with
    fear.

						-Matt