Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:56:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Laszlo KAROLYI <szoftos@freemail.hu>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS-lighttpd2-sendfile, too high IO

Hello,=0A=0Ait seems that turning off sendfile() in lighttpd2 completely so=
lved my problem.=0A=0AThe inactive memory usage ceased, wired memory raised=
 for ARC cache, and I see an enormous fall of IO load under the same (or ev=
en higher) network load. The disk IO load now scales to the network load.=
=0A=0ASomething must be not right with the sendfile support in ZFS.=0A=0AHo=
wever, my problem solved, and I'd suggest turning off sendfile in any progr=
ams in the future, unless this bug gets fixed.=0A=0ALaszlo=0A=0ABob Friesen=
hahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> =EDrta:=0A>On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Laszlo =
KAROLYI wrote:=0A>=0A>> But does this explain the 4-5mbyte/s reads when hav=
ing a 15mbit/s network load?=0A>=0A>There are only two viable explanations:=
=0A>=0A>   o Insuffient caching due to insufficient resources=0A>=0A>   o D=
ata is not being cached at all=0A>=0A>Zfs reads whole 128K blocks (or whate=
ver the filesystem blocksize is) =0A>at a time.  It does not read partial b=
locks from underlying storage. =0A>This makes it very expensive to perform =
many small read accesses if =0A>the reads are not subsequently cached in th=
e ARC.=0A>=0A>Bob=0A>-- =0A>Bob Friesenhahn=0A>bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us=
, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/=0A>GraphicsMagick Maintainer=
,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/=0A