Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:01:28 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de (Joachim Kuebart)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFAT 32 support in msdosfs

Joachim Kuebart wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there VFAT32 support in the current msdosfs? If not,m I'd be ready to try
> and do it..
> Note: From what I've heared, Windows95 that supports VFAT isn't even shipped
> any more. So this will probably be dying out soon.. :-)

I've been working on replacement for the msdosfs, which incorporates
VFAT (12- and 16-bit), but not VFAT32, support.  I'm hoping this will
be released RSN (at least within the next few months).

No-one is working on VFAT32 support, AFAIK.  I spent a while considering
it, before deciding against supporting it.  It is really a different
filesystem, and not (like VFAT) upward compatible with DOS.

If you want to pursue this, you may want to wait for the VFAT code.
Alternatively, I'd be happy to swap notes on technical details.

--
Robert Nordier