Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2018 09:58:47 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipmitool and SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF

James,

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 8:00 AM, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org =
wrote:
>=20
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:37:02 -0400
> From: "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
> To: freebsd-questions@harte-lyne.ca
> Subject: ipmitool and SuperMicro SYS-5027R-WRF
>=20
> Does anyone here use ipmitool, or anything similar running on
> FreeBSD-11, to establish a serial over lan (sol) console session with
> a supermicro SYS-5027R-WRF or similar vintage SM server chassis?  If
> so, can you provide me with the magic incantation to get this to work?
>=20
> I have added 'boot_multicons=3D"YES"' to /boot/loader.conf.  I have
> power-cycled the server.  And I cannot still establish a connection
> using ipmitool.

I am using ipmitool for SOL on a few different Supermicro servers.  I am =
still basically using the same recipe as I reported to the =
freebsd-stable list back in 2014 via this posting: =
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-November/080959.ht=
ml

For example, here is the /boot/loader.conf entries I use on a =
FreeBSD/amd64 11-STABLE Supermicro server:

#
# System console support: uncomment only one "console=3D..." line below
#
# Speed and port for serial console
comconsole_speed=3D115200
comconsole_port=3D0x2F8
# Uncomment below to enable only serial console
#console=3D"comconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable only VGA console
#console=3D"vidconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable VGA and serial consoles (preference to VGA)
#console=3D"vidconsole,comconsole"
# Uncomment below to enable serial and VGA consoles (preference to =
serial)
console=3D"comconsole,vidconsole"
boot_multicons=3D"YES"

The above works well enough for me to get a SOL connection using =
ipmitool as well as providing a system console via SOL.  I did recently =
have an issue, but that concerned my having changed the IPMI ADMIN =
password to something that was too long: even though the password change =
seemed to work, authentication failed because the password had been =
silently truncated at the Supermicro side to something shorter. :-(

>=20
> ipmitool -H 192.168.44.3 -U admin -I lanplus sol activate

That's basically what I use, except I use "-U ADMIN" and change the =
escape character via "-e ^".

> IPMI LAN send command failed
> IPMI LAN send command failed
>=20
>=20
> The built in web server works. But the zealots at Mozilla have
> puritanised Firefox to the point where the web console no longer
> works.  I need to have some way to talk to this chassis remotely while
> it is booting. I am open to any reasonable suggestion.

Actually, graphical console redirection still works for me.  I have to =
download the .jnlp file and then use "javaws /path/to/file.jnlp" via a =
terminal window to fire up the graphical console viewer.  This works for =
me most recently using Java 9 and Java 10 on a macOS client.  Note, the =
stricter security settings of the later Java runtimes mean you have to =
whitelist the IPMI URLs otherwise the viewer will refuse to run because =
the application is self-signed.

Note, I can also see/access BIOS settings via SOL when using ipmitool, =
too.  (That's why I set the preference to serial console.)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul.=