Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 15:04:29 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 3000/3200 portable

Did you get any reply to this?

> Anyone have any success/horror stories regarding FreeBSD on a Dell
> Inspiron 3000 or 3200 ?

I have an Inspiron 3000 on which I would like to install FreeBSD.  The
main problem seems to be the NeoMagic display chipset.  Because
NeoMagic don't publish their specs, XFree86 doesn't support it.

Jeff Shorey has done a port: <URL: http://www.mnsinc.com/js/Neomagic.html>.

RedHat have done a binary-only port for Linux:<URL:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF/README.neomagic>.

And Xi Graphics <URL: http://www.xinside.com/index.html>; have a $200 X
server which supports NeoMagic.

I haven't even started to think about the network/modem card.

Nick B