Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:01:24 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS sizes for a small web/mail server?

Greg Lehey wrote:
<snippage in the name of brevity>
>If you don't place /tmp and /var on a different disk, you shouldn't
>make them file systems.
>
>Here's a rule of thumb for file system sizing:
>
> /     40 MB
> swap  128 to 256 MB.
> /usr  the rest of the first disk.
>
>When you overflow the first disk, you can place a single file system
>on each additional disk, unless they're so big that you wouldn't be
>able to fit the entire file system on one backup tape.  Where you put
>the /var files is your choice, but this way you can move things around.
>
>> I think a 20 MB / and 96-128MB swap should be enough for now.
>
>20 MB / is *very* small.  You might get away with 96-128 MB swap.  If
>you don't, you'll have to either reinstall the system or add another
>disk with a swap partition.

Hmm....  I have a very good point, although (unless I'm missing
something about the use of /var and /tmp) the only overflow risks I
can see are swap and the database, the latter of which is very easy
to control.

Taking this under advisement and going back over some books, I came
up with this:

wd0s1a	/	40 MB
wd0s1e	/usr	476 MB
wd2s1b	swap	202 MB

wd0 is the ~500 MB drive
wd1 is the CD-ROM (the two HDs won't work when they share a chain)
wd2 is an extra ~200 MB drive I had.

/tmp, /var, and /home are linked from /usr

>> 1: I don't have a later version of FreeBSD to use, but plan on
>> upgrading to a more recent release when I get the new server.
>
>You know it's free?

Aye, but as it stands my setup does not allow me to install via
anything other than a local disk.  Before you suggest it, I'm looking
into downloading to a FAT disk and installing from there, just need to
find the space.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world