Date:               Mon, 15 Jan 1996 09:01:34 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:         Re: Dump/backup stuff

Thus spake "Werner Griessl" <croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de> (Mon, 15
Jan 1996):

|  >
|  > I finally got my 2GB tape drive running. I can successfully (I think)
|  > dump my / filesystem. I'd also like to append my /usr filesystem to the
|  > end of it as well. It's not clear to me as to how to do this. What I'm
|  > currently using is:
|  >
|  > dump 0f - / | gzip | dd of=/dev/rst0 bs=32k
|  >
|  > Is this what I should be using? Things appear to work.
|  >
|  > Also, what do I use to verify that what was written actually got written?
|  > Is there a sort of ls style listing I can get off of the tape?
|  >
|  > Thanks!
|  >
|  > -->Neil
|  >
|  > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  > Synthcom System's homepage:                         http://www.synthcom.com/
|  > Europa Upgrade, Synth patches (D-50, Xpander/Matrix 12), used gear pricelist
|  >
|  >
|  >

|  Hi Neil,
|
|  For a whole backup of your system you should do:
|
|  mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
|  dump 0usdf 200000 1000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0a       # /
|  dump 0usdf 200000 1000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0e       # /var
|  dump 0usdf 200000 1000 /dev/nrst0 /dev/rwd0f       # /usr
|  mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind
|
|  Note the 'n' in the tape-device, it means "non-rewindable" !
|  and use the right disk-devices for your system.
|
|  Hope this helps
|  Werner

Using a Sony SDT-5000 (4-8GB) I used

dump 0usdf 10240 61000 /dev/nrst0 <filesystem of choice>
    etc.

To access the "interior" dumps, use mt to position to the volume you want.
I did have to play a little game with the control device to establish the
higher density, but it was a one-time thing.

hth,
larry