Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 13:16:15 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        jonahkuo@mail.ttn.com.tw, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ' /usr/lib' can not be used.

At 3:59 PM +0800 8/9/98, Jonah Kuo wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I makeworld several times these days, then I found /usr/lib
> wasn't updated correctly, so the boot message tells:
>
> ldconfig: WARNING! ' /usr/lib' can not be used.
>
> Doesn't 'make world' update the whole freebsd system?

It does not automatically update configuration files in /etc,
because there's probably no good safe way to automate that.
(there's no way for an automated process to know why you
have decided to configure your system the way you have it
configured, so it can't know what changes are safe).

So, if you look under the "Tutorials" section at
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html, you'll see one for
"Upgrading FreeBSD from source (using _make_world_)".
That tutorial lists all the steps you have to do, including
the process of checking thru any changes to /etc by hand.
In this case it's a probably change to /etc/rc that you are
missing.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute