Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:26:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Harry Terkanian <hterkanian@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3C509 PnP NIC support

At Sun, 7 Jan 2001 it looks like Harry Terkanian composed:

hterka->
hterka->I have been unable to complie a kernel with 3C509
hterka->support.  I have device ep in the config file and it
hterka->complies OK.
hterka->
hterka->On boot all I see about the card is: "isa0: if_ep:
hterka-><3Com 3C509-TPO EtherLink III> at 0x210 in PnP mode!"
hterka->followed by "isa_probe_children: disabling PnP
hterka->devices".  I cannot create a device for ep or ep0
hterka->using /dev/MAKEDEV.
hterka->

Hmmm, I have the same card in my FreeBSD-4.2 box and it actually
only has one RJ-45 jack on the back but it was reported as having
both 10-Base2 on ep0 and the 10-BaseT on ep1, I configured ep1,
ignored the ep0 settings and all went well.

I had to bump my PCI network card to put in a Belkin USB 2-port
(PCI) card and since I had all other slots used I reached for my
backup hardware, circa ISA.

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076