Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:12:19 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: soft updates

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:38:59AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org> types:
> > On Sunday 16 September 2001 20:53, Nathan Mace wrote:
> > > basically what i'm asking is is it stable?  and how much of a perform=
ance
> > > gain am i gonna see?  thanks
> >=20
> > "Yes," and "a lot", respectively, but you *must* turn off write-cache o=
n your=20
> > disk if you are going to use soft updates.
>=20
> Only for IDE drives. SCSI provides features that let you use
> write-cache safely - if the driver you are using supports the
> feature. Check the driver manual page for "tagged queuing". If the
> driver supports that, you can turn write caching on for the SCSI
> drives attached to it.
>=20
> IDE disks that support tagged queuing are coming and the ATA driver
> supports them, but the most recent report I have says they aren't very
> reliable.
>=20
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.
>=20
>=20
> end of the original message

=46rom ata(4) manpage:

[...]
     hw.ata.wc
     set to 1 to enable Write Caching, 0 to disable (default is enabled)
     (WARNING might cause data loss on power failures)

     hw.ata.tags
     set to 1 to enable Tagged Queuing support (default is disabled) (only =
IBM
     DPTA and DTLA drives support that)
[...]

IBM IC35L0[246]0AVER07 drives support Tagged Queuing and Write Caching. Does
this mean that I can safely set hw.ata.wc=3D1 and hw.ata.tags=3D1 with soft=
updates
enabled without going into consistency troubles?

What "recent report" are you referring to? Do you know of reliablity issues
with IBM drives with WC and TQ enabled?
=20
	Francesco Casadei

--=20
You can download my public key from http://digilander.iol.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--