Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:41:55 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [patch] allow crash dumps to Linux swap partitions

"Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> I see two ways to fix this:
> 1. We can allow dumping to the MBR partition with type "ebr".
> This also will allow foot shooting for some users.
>
> 2. We can revert r230064 EBR's part, because it doesn't work.

The problem is that the question being asked ("is dumping allowed?") is
too simplistic.  There are actually two questions: "is dumping to this
partition allowed?" and "is dumping to a sub-partition of this partition
allowed?"  The first question only applies to the actual device passed
to swapon(2) - in dougb's case, ad0s7 - while the second only applies to
its ancestors in the geom hierarchy - in dougb's case, ad0s4 and ad0.

Fixing this properly requires a KPI / KBI change, though.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no