Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:57:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Encrypted tunnel

Hello ya'll!

Question #1:

I have several tunnels (IPv4 -> IPv4) setup on several machines
using nos style tunnels (nos-tun(8)).  What are my options to add
encryption to the existing framework?

Question #2:

Can someone point me to a website or give me some info on the IPSEC
feature within the kernel.  WHat does that allow me to do?  I know how
IPSEC works conceptually, how would I implement it's features?

Question #3:

Is there work in progress of a VPN style server/client package that would
allow for dynamic tunnel updates?  For exapmle:

	client -> authenticates 	-->	 server

	client     <-	send tunnel updates	<-|

	client updates local tunnels.

I've looked at the source code for several routing protocols that
essentially does this.  However, I have just begun to play with network
sockets and I've cranked out a weak version of this.  Is anyone else even
using tunnels?  Is this worth the time to follow up?  What other FreeBSD
VPN implementations are available (with the exception of PPTP) ?  Any
ideas would be helpfull.

Nick Rogness
- Speak softly and carry a Gigabit switch.