Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 13:45:02 +0100
From:      Dean Strik <dean@dragon.stack.nl>
To:        Marcel Prisi <marcel-lists@virtua.ch>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose ?

Marcel Prisi wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> After having loads of trouble with Intel Etherexpress, Netgear, and others
> NIC, what card REALLY work on FreeBSD ?

This is a rather late reply, but I'd like to share a bit about a problem
we had with Intel EtherExpress Pro 100. We had a few connected to a
Cisco Fasthub. We found that since bridging was enabled on one of these
boxen, all computers with the intel cards completely 'netdied' after
seemingly arbitrary periods (days).
Computers with NICs from 3com or other manufacturers were not affected.
Later problems also occurred in the same configuration (connected to a
cisco hub). The bridging machine (FreeBSD) also is an IPv6 router, and
IPv6 connections through the box went fine.. except to/from boxen with
the Intel cards.
All the boxen with these intel cards run FreeBSD-STABLE, so it's hard to
say if this problem only occurs with FreeBSD.

--
Dean C. Strik             Eindhoven University of Technology
dean@stack.nl  |  dean@ipnet6.org  |  http://www.ipnet6.org/