Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 05:49:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, mike@smith.net.au, gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, perhaps@yes.no, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support

> > The reason that this is a hard problem is that dynamic reconfiguration
> > of dynamically-reconfigurable-but-not-PnP hardware makes it difficult
> > for FreeBSD to coexist with other OS's, which would not know about
> > these devices ability to move around.
>
> This is actually such a trivial issue that I don't consider it worth
> worrying about.  If you have a particular OS in mind, and a specific
> test case to demonstrate your problem, a workaround might be in order.

He was talking about reating such hardware as an extension within
the PnP framework: ie: relocate anything that can be relocated,
not just anything that can be relocated via PnP.

A specific example might be a AE-3 ethernet card and DOS.  Change
the IRQ on the card, and when DOS comes up, the driver load in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT has the wrong IRQ parameter.

> These configurations are generally read from external EEPROMs on device
> reset.  Rebooting involves such a reset, and it is unlikely that
> FreeBSD will be rewriting said EEPROMs in the near future.

Actually, that's exactly what were were talking about when we started
talking about relocating non-PnP soft configurable devices.

> > You probe up the hierarchy, and attach down.  Pretty simple.
>
> No.  You probe from least intrusive to most intrusive, and use the
> lesser intrusive probes to eliminate places for sticking your fingers.

If you look at the hierarchy I denoted in my previous posting
(it looked like a directory tree), you'll see that you are saying
the exact sam thing I just said.  8-).

[ ... ]

> This is where the ECSD stuff comes into play on modern systems.  I am
> trying to world as we speak so that I can start using Jonathan's vm86
> BIOS call support to talk to this.

Cool.  This is exactly the soloution I think is called for.  Let
me know how it goes; if you have specific changes you want tested,
I can probably help out.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---