Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 1996 10:39:51 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onyx.interactive.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1st Drive,2nd Drive IDE 1, CD-ROM IDE 2? Possible?

Christopher J. Booth wrote:

> I have my 1st and 2nd hard drives on IDE 1, and my CD-ROM on IDE 2. It was
> the only way my system would recognize the two drives. I want to install
> and run FreeBSD on the second drive.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Linux sees the CD-ROM drive this way. I would like to run FreeBSD thus.
>
> Thanks.

> Chris Booth          What, in ill thought again? Men must endure
> cbooth@mordor.com    Their going hence, even as their coming hither:
>                      Ripeness is all.   ...     --Edgar, _King Lear_

There are reports of this setup working (two hard drives on primary IDE, CD
on secondary IDE). However, in many cases, the CD ROM is only recognized as
the slave on the secondary controller. You may want to try that if you have
problems with your current configuration. There are a couple of jumpers you
need to set on your drives to change their master/slave roles but other than
that it's pretty simple.

Nadav