Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:47:43 -0400
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        Shannon Wheeler <swheeler@mce.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suitable CAD system for scientific use?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 10:52:06AM -0600, Shannon Wheeler wrote:
> [...]
I came across an email message from a Bentley employee that claimed he ported
Microstation to linux, but I've never seen such a product.

> hmmm....
> There's free internet, office & multimedia packages for FreeBSD.
>
> There's ray tracers and all sorts of 'scientific' calculation programs.
>
> But I haven't seen any drafting packages - at least not powerful (or modern)
> ones (for any OS).
>
> Maybe a herd of FreeBSD programmers should start such a project... You know,
> all those guys looking for some way to help the open software movement but
> unable to find themselves something that wasn't already done.

The sad thing is that both AutoCAD and ARC/INFO began life in UNIX.  The
UNIX turf wars in the early 90's coupled with the rise of NT was the death
blow to these excellent products.  Now they are so heavilly tied to Windows
(in both a technical and corporate sense) that I doubt we'll ever see a
UNIX version again.

--
Regards,
Doug