Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2016 17:07:17 -0300
From:      Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating the RPI2 firmware

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:59:55 +0200
Toby <misc.lists@fsck.ch> wrote:

> On 30/08/16 19:06, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>=20
> > I am fixing a RPi2 box to be a router for my home. crouchet is great an=
d I
> > can get the board running fine. I needed to have pf built in, so a cust=
om
> > kernel was built. And now the main questions:
>=20
> Pf should already be available as kld and automatically be loaded as
> soon as you start pf. Although I don't know if things are different with
> crochet, I'm not using it.

pf is, ALTQ is not (at least never was on regular FreeBSD generic builds, a=
nd is not explicitly onf RPI2 kernel conf)
thats the issue

> > the main way to update RPi boxes is really freebsd-update and svn+build=
ing
> > sources? I will use packages but the built-in pf must be compiled.
>=20
> Are binary updates with freebsd-update supported now with RELENG_11? I
> compiled everything from source, but that was with 11-CURRENT and RC1 of
> RELENG_11.

the binary is there, need to know if freebsd-update has the files there. Wi=
ll try it.
=20
> > and Toby, how much time was to build it on the RPi2? I think I may need=
> > cool it further, as idling the box is much warmer then I would like it =
> > be.
>=20
> I don't remember exacly, but it was somewhere between 24h and 36h for
> buildworld and buildkernel. And remember that you have to recompile all
> ports if you update from a system built before 20160517 (see the
> corresponding entry in /usr/src/UPDATING.

My build took 24h world and kernel. It got hot, but AFAIK not above 56=BA. =
I think its safe.

thanks,

matheus=20

--=20