Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 01:03:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Ryan Langseth <ryan_langseth@und.nodak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual boot with windows 2000

> Ryan Langseth wrote:
>
> I don't know if you can help , but I would like to Dual boot my pc
> with win2000 and FreeBSD ,, what would you recommend for this,
> anything at all would be appreciated. thanks

Read about installing with alternate systems in the Handbook and there
are some articles in the tutorials.

It is really simple to use the ntldr. The hardest part is getting the
"/" under cylinder 1023 when you have alternate systems already
installed. With LBA that is about 8.4GB. W2K allows 4 primary
patitions or slices in the FreeBSD terminology. One of those can be
everything you need for FreeBSD or you can split it up.

There is a /boot/boot1 and boot0 after you install. If you install
FreeBSD on drive 0, you copy boot1 to your "C" drive and call it
bootsec.bsd. Then you add 'c:\bootsec.bsd="FreeBSD"' to your boot.ini.
It will know to boot freebsd on your drive 0. You use /boot/boot0 for
any other drive.

Make sure you have a startup disk because when you install FreeBSD, it
is going to make its slice the active boot and you have to use fdisk
to switch it back to your 1st partition. You manipulate everthing
after that with your advanced tab > startup options from the system
applet.

My mixed mode system has a 2GB Fat16 with all of my boot setups in it.
No OS on this partition. The second partition is a 13GB FreeBSD UFS
with a 100MB /, a 300MB swap, 500MB /var, 1GB /var, and what is left
is /usr. The 3rd partition is my extended with my logical's "F" and
"G". I don't think the extended can come before the FreeBSD partition.

I copied everything in the 2GB Fat16 to the 20GB. Added my FreeBSD
slice and added FreeBSD. Then, I used W2K to add the extended
partition and copied them from the extended partition on the 8GB
original drive. Next, I copied the boot sector in, edited the
boot.ini, and let W2K handle the boot after that.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html