Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:37:54 -0600
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        John Johnstone <nospamfreebsd.jjohnstone@tridentusa.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File fransfer from iPad to FreeBSD

On 02/19/18 14:56, John Johnstone wrote:
> On 2/19/18 12:56 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, February 19, 2018 12:20 am, @lbutlr wrote:

>>> But that is simply not true. There are plenty of applications that I can
>>> reinstall on my old device that does not run the current OS, and I will
>>> get the version for the OS I am running, not the newest version of the
>>> application.
>>>
>>> Apple cannot give you a version of an application that the developer has
>>> removed from the App store, no matter how badly you want it, as it is
>>> not
>>> theirs to give.
>>
>> I wonder if you could teach me how to install older version of some
>> application through apple store for which apple store already carries
>> newer version of application. What do I do on my iOS device (iPhone or
>> iPad) to choose different version of application than the one that
>> pops up
>> in the search of app store.
>>
>> I don't care which application you choose as example, I just would
>> like to
>> follow your step by step instruction. Once I am able to see one
>> (whichever) application for which I can choose one of two different
>> versions, I will happily admit that my statement was wrong. And I will
>> learn something. But so far I haven't seen the way to install older
>> version of some application (the version that was released when older
>> version on iOS was actively supported). But, of course, I did check all
>> applications that are in apple store.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Valeri
>
> An iOS device can be used with or without iTunes.  Without iTunes, apps
> install on the device directly from the App store and only the latest
> app version is available with whatever iOS dependency it has from the
> developer.  Some developers create new apps with a different name which
> allows them to have similar apps in the store with different iOS
> dependencies.
>
> With older versions of iTunes (e.g. 10.6.2), apps are downloaded from
> the App store into iTunes and stored locally in the iTunes app library.
> Syncing with the iOS device with iTunes installs the app from the iTunes
> library.  The local storing of apps in the iTunes app library was
> removed in more recent versions of iTunes.
>
> When restoring from a backup apps are restored from either the app
> library with older versions of iTunes or directly from the App store
> with the newer iTunes versions or in the case of iCloud backups.  You
> then get whatever app version is available in the store at the time you
> do the restore.
>
> If this subject is important for someone they need to do some careful
> research outside of this mailing list.  Because the behavior has changed
> over time and varies with the different scenarios this is an area that
> is not fully understood by many people.

Thanks John. I know the options you listed. The situation I had with one
person doesn't fit into them: device was wiped, but we hadn't back up of
it...

And I do agree, even though I stand by my original statement, I will
stop arguing here, mo matter what someone may say. This mail list is not
the place for it.

My apologies that I didn't realize it earlier.

Valeri

> -
> John J.

Valeri Galtsev