Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 13:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetuya@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie question

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:
> 1) XFree86 3.3.1 was used with generic kernel.  Also,  my logitech
> ps/2(psm0) mouse worked.  The new kernel was built and the it boots
> fine,  however XFree86 3.3.1 refuses to run and says something like
> "mouse(psm0) failed to load".  Reconfigure xfree86 has not been
> working.  I specified "psm0" in the new kernel.  Does this matter
> relates to "profile",  "rc",  or "rc.conf"?

Is psm0 also enabled?  The default for psm0 is disabled.

> 2) After installation,  the pc was rebooted.  It prompted to enter the
> login name.  So,  I entered "root" and hit Enter.  After that,  I was
> not required to enter password!  I tried several times with the same
> result.  I changed root password with /stand/sysinstall program.  Then,
> I am enable to enter root password.  I do not know the reason.

You hadn't assigned a root password during the install?

> 3) Since the reboot following kernel rebuilt,  the root partition(/) is
> full.  DF says that the capacity for / is 104% and -XXX is available.
> So,  I checked the / and found that the new kernel is as eight times
> large as the size of generic kernel although the new kernel,  which I
> wrote was smaller than "generic" kernel file.  When I "ls -l" the
> directory,  the size of the new kernel is more than 9*10^6.  As a result
> of this,  running programs is somewhat unstable.  The / was assigned
> 32MB space.

I'd rebuild that custom kernel again and triple check your config
file before doing so.  I have no idea how you'd get a 9M kernel.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com