Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 13:35:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: novell ne2000 cards with FreeBSD...opinions?

> >  From: David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
> >  Subject: Re: novell ne2000 cards with FreeBSD...opinions?
> >
> >  It will require twice the CPU, and in some extreme cases, this might be
> >  enough to cause it to drop a packet. ...but normally it will work fine.
> >
> >Yeah, I just looked at the driver and saw the programmed IO cruft in there
> >to deal with the novell cards.  Bummer.  Someone mentioned that some of the
> >cards really do have shared memory and can run just like the SMC and 3COM.
> >Do you know anything about this?
>
>    I seem to recall the the NE2100's have this ability, but there isn't
> support for it in the driver. I don't have any programming information for
> it and haven't had the time or interest in trying to acquire it. ...but the
> NE2000 doesn't have shared memory support; only programmed I/O.

There's two verions of the PCnet-ISA, one uses DMA the other uses shared
mem. The driver would work with minimal changes on a shared mem verion,
all it would need is some way to find out where the shmem is. The driver
has the code to work with these types of cards but I've never come across
one to finish off the missing bits.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul