Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 03:23:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.dialix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

On 20 Nov 1995, Peter Wemm wrote:

> j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
> [...]
> >sysinstall and libdisk are an entirely different thing.  But believe
> >it or not, all of us still use the terrible interface, except for a
> >fresh installation...
>
> I dont.. :-)  I've used /stand/sysinstall on a number of occasions to
> prep and partition new disks.  I dont remember the specifics though,
> but it involves using wizard mode and manually mkfs'ing.  I believe
> 2.1 has changed sysinstall in this area a little.

	Yes, 2.1's sysinstall has improved it by adding a W)rite option
to both, but you still have to blindly stumble into the "Install"
menu, and then you have to notice that a W)rite option has been added...
I don't know how many times I stumbled into it because everyone said that
sysinstall would do it, but blindly missed the W)rite option.

	I had the benefit of popping into IRC and chatting with those
in #FreeBSD about it, but what about those that don't have that
luxury, that are using FreeBSD because its a good OS and their friends
recommended it?

	If I can scrap together some time, I'm going to play with
pulling the disklabel and fdisk functions out of sysinstall in 2.1,
which seem to have the features required, but in an "out of the way"
place...*shrug*...we'll see what happens

Marc G. Fournier | Knowledge, Information and Communications, Inc (ki.net)
scrappy@hub.org  |
 soon to be:     |
scrappy@ki.net   | For more information, send me email.