Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:03:36 +0900
From:      NAKAGAWA Yoshihisa <y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@FreeBSD.ORG>, Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

> Working together to solve a problem means 'working together', and I have
> seen no attempts at any of the PAO folks (except for kuriyama) who have
> any desire to work 'with' the FreeBSD people to solve the problem.  Even

1. Many PAO people are Japanese, so we have language and
communication problem.

# Nate's this mail is very long, I need long time for reading the
#mail. We are not native of English. It is hard. Japanese is very
#different to western-europe languages.

2. Nate, you are nagative to PAO, so we become passive for PAO
integrate.

3. Many PAO people go to newconfig project. (me too)

> 3) The ability to 'kill -HUP' pccardd and have it re-read the device
>    table.

It is include some bug. (not free memory when got -HUP.)

# I wrote that code. It is corner-cutting. :-)

> 1) Most of the ATA support

hu-m. ATA support is temporary. Because, original wdc depend
isa_biotab_wdc[] of ioconf.c and re-write is hard. So, we will
rewrite on newconfig project.

> 1) pcic is now an ISA device, even though it should not be.

I disagree. PCIC is true ISA device. Now, CardBus controller is
used by Legacy-mode, so it should be probe as ISA device (and
additionaly PCI setup). (It likes wdc driver.)

In the future, it is used by native CardBus mode, it should be
handle true PCI device. (It likes new ata driver.)

And, it should be separate PCIC common core code and bus code, so
no wrong affects to native CardBus support.

Additionaly, UserConfig is good solution at now, it is strong
point, other BSDs not have. So, PCIC should be use it.

> Most of this is configuration.

In old ISA PCIC, it is true, but other is not.

> There already exists Win95 as well, so should we all start using it?

It is sophism.

> Integrating PAO into FreeBSD is not an option if 'integrating PAO' means
> applying all of the PAO patches to FreeBSD, regardless of how it
> negatively affects desktop systems and future work for supporting
> hardware.

I think, first merge new feature, second brush up and stabilize,
it is FreeBSD-style.

--
NAKAGAWA, Yoshihisa
	y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp