Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 21:37:35 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        kris@gwyneth.gric.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Future of -stable?

kris@gwyneth.gric.com wrote:

> Here's something I've been wondering about for a bit but I've never really
> gotten a straight answer. Currently I'm using 2.2.7-stable, however I just
> got a new larger drive and I want to install 3.0-beta and follow it
> through release and on into 3.0-stable if possible. Anyhow I've used cvsup
> a lot and I'm wondering once 3.0 is released, will there be a 3.0-stable?

	It will be a LONG TIME before 3.0 is stable OR -Stable.

> And does this mean that for a short time there will be a 3.0-stable and a
> 2.2-stable (till 2.2.8 is released). Or will the 3.0.X development still
> be called current?

	There will eventually be a 3.0-Stable and a 3.x-Current (or maybe a
4.x-Current), but don't count on that any time soon. What the 2.2 branch
gets called when 3.x is finally -Stable is also up in the air.

> Mainly what I want to do is install 3.0-beta and keep up with the 3.0.x
> tree from there, preferably a the stable version if possible. Any ideas on
> how/where -stable is going to go?

	What's your level of experience with freebsd?  You may be better off
sticking with 2.2 until 3.x goes -Stable. At minimum you should
subscribe to the freebsd-current and cvs-all lists and read them for a
couple weeks before you make your decision.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!