Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 05:28:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [OT] Re: If you think people use FreeBSD for server, you must've been outta school for long long time!

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Sung Nae Cho wrote:

> I've put this message couple days ago, almost a week old!  I have been a
> FreeBSD user for quite a while and matured enough using this OS in such
> way that I no longer seek help but, most of the time, giving help
> to newbies who just started using FreeBSD.  However, I have to tell you
> that I have tried Redhat 7.1 with 2.4.x kernel and it just amazed me in
> every area (performance, hardware support for my fairly new laptop!).

Good hardware support doesn't imply a solid operating system. Vis: Windows
2000. Most laptops if not all, support it. Is it viable or usable to you?
I'll let you answer that.

> My new optical usb mouse doesn't run on FreeBSD.

Mine does.

> After some serious thought (it's always very hard to make transition!),
> I have finally decided to switch to Linux for 4 reasons:

Inability to configure a USB mouse and having bought an incompatible
laptop (you're supposed to research compatibility before purchase. Under
any operating system.) aren't very good reasons in themselves. Let's
continue.

> 1) KDE, GNOME and other Window managers are only 100% compatible with
> Linux.  I've discovered only 90% of KDE and GNOME functionality work on
> FreeBSD.  (NO JAVA support!  I couldn't get any JAVA applications to run
> on FreeBSD).  I'm kind of suspicious about compatibility between GNU C/C++
> compilers and FreeBSD also.

Not impressed. I'll try some java applications later this week and let you
know how they go. As for KDE/Gnome, I expect you to function using more
sophisticated means than those which 'do not work under FreeBSD'. I'm
aware of the aspects of both WM's that are incompatible, and this clearly
represents a software quality issue with KDE/Gnome themselves. Perhaps you
need to join their mailinglists and inform them of their mistake.

GNU/CC is the main compiler for FreeBSD. Both gcc 2.95.3 and 3.0.1CVS work
beautifully under it.

[Point 2 omitted - covered above]

> 3) When installing very large files like Mozilla, teTeX and XFree86-4,
> FreeBSD takes forever to install!  Even with async option enabled,
> the package for teTeX takes good 15 minutes, Mozilla good 20 minutes to
> unzip and install.  It takes forever unzipping XFree86-4 source for
> compilation under FreeBSD. And my machine isn't that archaic, it's 500Mhz,
> 128M, UDMA 33 Hard drive!  Under Linux, installing teTeX took only 10 sec or so.

I don't come up with the same results. My speeds are higher under BSD on
slower hardware (400MHz, 64M). You may want to enable softupdates. ;)

> 4) None of the NVIDIA cards are supported in FreeBSD.  Sure it runs, but
> only with 2D, unaccelerated mode.

My GeForce2 is quite happy. Then again I'm not a gamer. (I use a Windows
box right next to this one for gaming, but shh don't tell anyone. ;) )

> I just wanted clarify that I wasn't bashing FreeBSD.  I was mearly
> pointing out my "wishes".  Anyways, I will be unsubscribing the FreeBSD stable
> list in couple days or so.  If you read my previous messages, you would
> have understood how frustrated I was having to make transition!  (I
> probably installed both Redhat and FreeBSD back and forth 10 times last
> week! 3 time this morning before I finally made up my mind.)  Now, I need to
> concentrate on physics and less of OS.

Your insights will be sorely missed. I hope you realise exactly the sort
of operating system you're getting into on a structural level. I do. Why
do you think I switched from there to FreeBSD?

Have fun with RedHat,
Brad

// -- www.brad-xcom -- //