Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 19:32:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Actually, the claim was for any non-arbitrary group of humanity,
> > since the specific games in question require a shared Schelling
> > point to be predictive.
>
> What makes a group non-arbitrary and gets them to share a Schelling
> point?

What makes them non-arbitrary is the fact that they share a Schelling
point.

> I provided a counter-example, like you wanted, and you tap dance
> away. Is it any wonder I don't waste the time to prove anything or
> provide testable evidence?

Nature is not a valid counter example in the domain of designed
systems.  Foo, you are nothing but a charleton!

> Well, then I was correct even by this definition. Simple vs complex is
> arbitrary.

Yeah, they are just "arbitrarily" antonyms...

> >> Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
> >> source of livelihood or as a career".
> >
> > Why is money required, in your opinion, for someone to be able
> > to act in a professional manner?
>
> Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
> source of livelihood or as a career".
>
> (Hmm, a sloop.)

There's you're problem.  You are using definition 2 instead of the
primary definition.

Professional: characterized by or conforming to the technical or
ethical standards of a profession.

> > If the alternative is being burned at the stake for heresy,  I
> > can pretend...
>
> See? You aren't willing to give your life for the truth. ;)

I'm willing to give my opponents life for the truth... ;^).

> >> Just where did I suggest that? This is nothing like what I am
> >> suggesting, which is a quick press of a particular key on your
> >> keyboard. ;)
> >
> > "LA LA LA!" <presses key> "I CAN'T READ YOU!"
>
> Ah! That "<presses key>" adds an action to your original presentation.
> In fact, you don't need to sing or shout, you can just <press the key>
> and get more effective results. |)

Since when isn't sticking your fingers in your ear an action?

> >> The complexity of the solution is irrelevant to it's measured
> >> effectiveness.
> >
> > The effectiveness was granted with the conditional "which fits
> > all the facts".
>
> That conditional is irrelavent to "simple".

Sure it is.  It's a modifier on the set of possible explanations.

-- Terry