Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:53:11 +0100
From:      Bart Matthaei <bart@dreamflow.nl>
To:        krzysztof Strzelczyk <cs052279@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel error?? Hacked?? Bad NIC??

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

> I can send and receive ping requests from this
> interface however I can only ping the .15 alias.  The
> .11 ip address and the .4 alias return 'sendto: host
> down'.  Is this a sign of a NIC going bad??

Neh. Probably a routing table problem. Show us a ifconfig -a + netstat -nr.

> Here is that latest actively in my logs that I can not
> explain:
>=20
> >opensocket_f: bind ([xxx.xxx.xxx.11]): can't assign
> requested address.

Just an application thats trying to open a port thats already in use.
Your syslog should show what program is barfing on this.

> >Using kernel phase-lock loop 2040
> >Using kernel phase-lock loop 2041

>=20
> >Kernel pll status change 2040
> >Kernel pll status change 2041

Isn't this spewed out by ntpd ?

> It almost smells like someone has hacked this box and
> disabled ping to the IPs he wants to use for his
> purposes.  How could I best check on this?  Is there a
> way to disable ping to certain IP addresses on a NIC.=20
> IPF is not loaded on this box.

If you want our opinion on syslog messages, it's wise to show us
entire lines instead of fragments. This way we can see what program is
trying to tell you something.

Your box is probably fine. Get some coffee and relax ;)
(although paranoia can be a good thing, don't overdo it).

Regards,

Bart

--=20
Bart Matthaei                 bart@dreamflow.nl=20

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg--