Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:44:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   CAD section is weak...

Hello:
I am learning to port software, and I noticed that much can be done in the
CAD area. Some of Linux's programs are portable, but I started out with
some of the Berkeley software at
http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/Software/software.html
Most of this software is excellent, but requires delicate porting and
good bandwidth. Ptolemy (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu), a package for
DSP, already has patches for Fbsd available, but if not carefully ported
(recompiling gnu stuff and itcl) can take 120M!.
I clearly need more hands... anyone with nothin' else to do? What about
declaring a (nonexclusive) CAD month, later a HAM month...etc until we
reach Linux (.. or 4 CDs whichever comes first)? Of course I wouldn't
want 20 persons working on the same port... we would organize it.

Pedro.