Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:42:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      media@mail1.nai.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie Questions

I am in the process of trying to install FreeBSD on my first Intel machine.
In the past two weeks I have learned the difference between MS-DOS and
Windows:
Windows sucks and MS-DOS blows  :)

I have the following, possibly stupid, questions:

1. I wish to install 3.1 STABLE, yet the only 3.1 I could find at
ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD was in releases/i386/.  Is that the right one??
When I go to FreeBSD-stable/  I see packaging, ports, src, sup and
supfile.cvsvp, but nothing such as bin, which would be necessary.

2.  When I open the XF86331 directory (I'm using FTP Explorer) it says "no
such file or directory"  Where can I get the XF86331 files for the answer
to my first question that are strongly recommended??

3.  I do not have a cd-rom drive.  I downloaded files from ftp.FreeBSD.ORG
to my primary DOS partition.  For example, the path for bin.aa is
C:\FREEBSD\bin\bin.aa

I booted up using kern.flp and mfsboot.flp from floppies, but when I choose
to load the rest from a DOS partition the installer tells me it can't find
any of them.  There doesn't seem to be a prompt for a file path.  What am I
doing wrong??

4.  The boot manager seems to have been installed as I get this at startup:

F1 DOS
F2 FreeBSD

    If I choose F2  I get:

No /boot/loader

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

So I'm guessing the bin files never loaded.  Drive D: no longer appears
under DOS  (it's was empty partition made with FIPS 2.0).

When I'm in the FreeBSD installer, and choose to mount my primary DOS
partition,  it asks for a name (it asks me to enter a number followed by a
"/").  I chose 1.  Which number should I choose??

5.  The ports and packages files at ftp.FreeBSD.ORG are compressed.  Should
I download them and try to decompress using WINZIP or what??   Or are they
decompressed as they are loaded into FreeBSD??

THANX!!

PEACE OUT :)
MARK

--
REDMOND, WA (AP) --- Microsoft Corp. announced today
that the official release date for the new operating system