Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:11:23 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

> Clearly the sheer volume of morons is one reason.

I've been giving a lot of thought to this whole thread. I keep asking
myself why we never had this problem in the days of DARPA, or more
correctly, why it keeps getting worse. It took me a while, but I think I
understand. It's not the number of "morons" on the outside that's
hurting us. It's the one's on the inside.

What does it say about the state of our affairs when a teenager from
Canada can hijack 100's of computers and use them collectively against a
single target?

It really boils down to the organizations that try and build a 10 dollar
network on a 2 dollar budget. There are too many underskilled,
understaffed and underbudgeted admins. They "allow" the holes that the
script kiddies exploit, and all of the rest of us suffer.

It will do us little good to try and stop the morons on the outside
until the morons on the inside stop giving them the tools to work with.

Until that happens, our only hope is to help each other, and keep each
other informed. I really think history will find that collective
information sharing, like this list, will have as much impact on the
Internet as Dr. Linklider's RFC's.
--
Bob Martin, CTO
InterNet Unlimited