Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:17:11 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal 2: adding dependency to ports/INDEX

It was brought to my attention that currently there is no way to see
what a port depends on only by looking at the INDEX file.  Although
this is probably not a problem for a CD user, it can be quite annoying
for Joe 14.4k modem user.

Thus, I propose adding two more fields, ports required for building
(FETCH_DEPENDS, BUILD_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS, DEPENDS) and ports
required for running (RUN_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS, DEPENDS -- this one is
identical to the @pkgdep lines in the package), to the ports/INDEX
file.

Of course, I'm assuming John will modify his webpage auto-update
software to put this information on freefall's ports collection
page. :)

Satoshi