Date:      22 Jan 2003 09:03:12 +0100
From:      jack@jarasoft.net (Jack Raats)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New to FreeBSD

Hi JCBotha

If you're really new to unix, then set up a second machine to play with, but do
not set up a server on it.
When you know unix then setup postfix and qpopper.

A very good windows package is the argosoft mailer, which can be
downloaded at

http://www.argosoft.com

Before postfix I used that package which is very good.

Jack

PLease do not use mime in mailing lists!

 "> Dear Sir

 "> I am new to this operating system and became interested when I
 "> started to look at a solution for a network set-up. I do not know if
 "> I will be able to master this OS because I grew up with Windows and
 "> know nothing about UNIX OS systems. With windows I at least can help
 "> myself and find my way around.

 "> I need to set up a server that host an Internet (POP3) connection
 "> for three different networks that must not be able to communicate
 "> with one other. Top security is needed. The reason is this is a
 "> Teachers training collage, the one network is for the admin
 "> department and another for the staff and lastly the student network.
 "> Just by the way, will this modem connection be able to handle about
 "> 30 computers on the network. I know that an ISDN connection will be
 "> better but presently we do not have anything ells. The server that I
 "> would like to set up should be able to record all student activities
 "> in the sense to monitor the web pages visited and the printing that
 "> has been done plus to forbid certain printings such as web pages.

 "> What do you suggest me to do, start from scratch and study a UNIX
 "> system or face the Windows server package.

 "> Yours truly

 "> JC Botha

With greetings ... Jack Raats