Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 12:39:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        jahan <jahan@pc.jaring.my>
Cc:        Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>, Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@elr346.ateng.az.honeywell.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I beg to differ, FreeBSD vs. Linux

On Mon, 11 May 1998, jahan wrote:

> For learners, from my experience, Linux is good. Until users are ready to be able
>                      - Handle, when ports will not compile without a hitch
>                      - Can make the world , when it fails

Having used both, I don't see where Linux has any advantage here.  Do any
of the current Linux distributions even have a make world equivelent?
I've never seen any Linux user upgrade "world" by any method other than
downloading a new distribution.

And trust me, I've had more than my share of RPMs that wouldn't install
cleanly, and I'm not even talking source RPMs. FreeBSD does have packages
for those that can't handle compiling their own stuff.

> Don't believe me ? ok . Try installing any released version. Then try making the
> world. Then try upgrading to any release after cvsupping. Experience it. I do it
> every time I have customer for server machine. ( I have a 2.2.1 CD-ROM from there
> to stable).

I've got an FTP server that I keep a recent SNAPSHOT on (usually within a
month of the latest), and that works fine for me.

> But I will always thank those developers, who put it together made this UNIX
> available to us.So what is lacking ? User guide.

I don't know, I think the FAQ and Online User Guide cover most of the
stuff, except the most recent changes.

Not knocking Linux, I used it myself for years, but I'm much happier and
productive with FreeBSD.